My husband really likes the Chicken & Gnocchi soup at Olive Garden. So, he was pretty excited when I found this copycat recipe on Pinterest!
I’ve tweaked it a little bit. For example: no carrots because I’m lazy and I just don’t feel like shredding carrots, or buying a bag of shredded carrots that I won’t use up. Also, canned shredded chicken is easier – and makes my cats very happy. Too bad they don’t like shredded carrots as much as they like chicken juice. 🙂
- 1 medium onion
- 2 stalks of celery
- 2 garlic cloves
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 quart half & half
- 2 cans of minced chicken
- 16 oz package of gnocchi
- 14 oz chicken broth
- 1 cup baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Mince the onions, slice the celery, and mince the garlic.
- In a large stockpot, heat olive oil and sauté the onion, celery, and garlic until soft.
- Melt the butter, and then add the flour to form a roux. Stir and cook 1 minute until it becomes like a paste. Slowly incorporate the half & half.
- Add shredded chicken to the stockpot.
- While the soup thickens, cook the gnocchi according to the package directions.
- Add the chicken broth, gnocchi, spinach and seasonings. Cover and heat through.
This soup is pretty simple, and it goes great with a nice crusty bread or breadsticks!
And, bonus ! I made another copycat recipe to go along with the soup: Macaroni Grill’s Shrimp & Avocado Crostini. 🙂
This is probably my favorite appetizer of all time! So yummy! Here’s the recipe. It’s a bit time intensive, but so worth it!