Today was the big day! Our ultrasound and anatomy scan. We were scheduled for an 8:00 a.m. appointment. Apparently, mother nature had other plans. Snow, sleet, and icy rain make for dangerous driving conditions anywhere, and when you live in the South, even a little bit of snow means everything closes down.
So, we have to wait a little longer to see the baby and find out the gender. I will admit to tears and excessive pouting … and blame them on the pregnancy hormones! 😉
Hopefully, we can reschedule our appointment quickly, but until then I am taking the great advice of a family member and distracting myself with some home gender predictions while stuck inside for the Snow Day!
There are tons of different “tests” and old wives tales out there. I have picked 10 of the most popular that don’t involve embarrassing details like changes to my breasts.
1) Chinese Gender Chart: This test is based on the mother’s Chinese lunar age at the time she got pregnant, and the Chinese lunar month in which she conceived. Our result? BOY
2) Mayan Gender Test: Combine the mother’s age at conception and the year of conception. Even number means girl. Odd number means boy. Our result? BOY
3) Baking Soda: Put baking soda into a cup. Pee into another cup, and then combine. If the baking soda fizzes, it’s a boy. No reaction? You’re having a girl. Our result? GIRL
4) Heartbeat: If the baby’s heart rate is 140 beats-per-minute or above, it’s a girl. Below 140, a boy. At our appointment in December, the heart rate was 162. Our result? GIRL
5) Cravings: An old wives tale says craving salty foods while pregnant means boy, and sweet cravings means girl. I have also seen one that says craving sweet means boy, while craving sour means girl. Either way, I have craved pickles and apple turnovers in equal measure. Our result? N/A
7) Carrying: Supposedly, if you are carrying your baby high, it’s a girl. If you are carrying low, it’s a boy. Since I barely have a bump at all, I would also consider this test inconclusive. Our result? N/A
6) Clumsy vs. Graceful: If you remain graceful throughout your pregnancy (assuming you’re graceful to begin with), then it’s a girl. If you become clumsy, it’s a boy. I have always been clumsy, but I will say it has gotten much worse! Our result? BOY
8) Morning Sickness: If you have mild morning sickness, it’s a boy. If you have extreme morning sickness, you are having a girl. Interestingly enough, there’s some truth to this one … according to WedMD. 😉 “Levels of the pregnancy hormone hCG, which triggers morning sickness, tend to be higher in mothers who are pregnant with female babies.” Our result? BOY
9) How You Rest: If you prefer to lay on your left side during pregnancy, it’s a boy. Right side? It’s a girl. I used to sleep on my stomach all the time, but no longer. Our result? GIRL
10) The Ring Test: Put your wedding ring on a string. Have someone hold the ring over your belly. If it starts to swing in a circle, it’s a girl. Side to side like a pendulum means a boy. I made sure to not tell the hubby what the results meant before I had him do this test. Our results? BOY
BOY = 5 GIRL = 3 INCONCLUSIVE = 2
Based on these tests, it’s a boy! I haven’t had any strong “mother’s intuition” one way or the other. Both the hubby and my mother have had dreams that it’s a girl … which apparently means it will be a boy based on another old wives tale.
We shall see what the ultrasound says!