Recently, a friend and co-worker of mine totally made my morning by bringing these delicious cookies to work. Oatmeal Raisin Cookies are often overlooked and passed up for something chocolate, or for a more complicated recipe. Sometimes, we forget just how wonderful a simple, tried and true recipe can be.
This cookie is flavorful, has some healthy ingredients (always a plus), and it is SO easy to make! The recipe for this cookie comes from Smitten Kitchen, a blog I will definitely be following from now on!
The recipe yields about 2 dozen small cookies.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 3/4 cup raisins
My friend made her cookies with coconut oil instead of butter, which I have never tried before. This recipe was a great test cookie for the task, and I was very pleased with the results. I may be turning to this substitution more often when I am baking. 🙂
1) In a large bowl, cream together the coconut oil, brown sugar, egg and vanilla until smooth.
2) In a separate bowl, combine and whisk the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt together.
3) Stir the dry ingredients into the wet mixture. Add in the oats and raisins. The coconut oil has a tendency to hold lumps. My solution was to hand-mix the batter after all the ingredients are incorporated; that way I could smoosh out any remaining lumps of coconut oil.
4) Shape the dough into small balls, and let chill while you pre-heat your oven to 350°F.
Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Dough
5) Place 6 balls onto a cookie sheet line with parchment paper. Bake for 11-12 minutes.
The best thing about these cookies is they are crispy on the outside, but still soft on the inside.
Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
This recipe is definitely being added to my big red cookbook. 🙂 And if you wanted something sweeter, you could add some chocolate chips — or I’ve even seen oatmeal raisin cookies with M&Ms in them!