Back from my burnout! And it’s time to resume my 7-Day Microwave Mug Challenge! I am putting off Meatloaf in a Cup, once again. Let’s have dessert: Chocolate and Salted Caramel Mug Cake!
I have high hopes that the salted caramel aspect will set this mug cake apart. To be honest, the Brownie in a Mug and Nutella Mug Cake ended up tasting pretty similar. Delicious — but similar.
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg – beaten
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 salted caramels
1) In a small bowl, beat the egg. Add the milk and vegetable oil. Whisk until combined.
2) In a regular sized mug, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder and salt.
3) Pour the wet ingredients into the mug. Stir until smooth.
4) Drop the caramels into center of the mug, one at a time. I didn’t have salted caramels, just plain old Kraft caramels, so I simply sprinkled a pinch of sea salt on top of the caramels as I added them.
3) Microwave on high for 1 minute and 30 seconds.
Here is the original from The Family Kitchen at Babble.com.
And, here is how mine turned out:
The best part is the caramel. I would actually recommend adding 3 caramels to the mix.
Unfortunately, this recipe did not stand out as I had hoped. It was good, but not different enough. I must admit I am bored with mug cakes for now. Oh, well. It’s probably for the best. I’m going through flour and cocoa powder much too quickly!